About Gardeniser Pro
The Gardeniser programme began 10+ years ago, with visits between community gardens in different countries through the Lifelong Learning - Grundtvig programme. A key issue emerged through these exchanges: community gardeners no longer had time to cultivate plants, because they were busy cultivating people!
The project partners named this role the "Gardeniser" and developed the Gardeniser Pro training course to recognise and support Gardenisers all over Europe in their work. The course can be delivered either online or in person, before a final online test grants the learner a Gardeniser Pro Licence.
A Gardeniser is a key coordinating role working inside a community garden or farm. Our training teaches aspiring Gardenisers the importance of inclusivity, design and planning and how to work effectively with volunteers and staff to create a sustainable community supported farm or garden.
Gardeniser Pro uses the European Credit System for Vocational Education and Training (ECVET) which is a technical framework for the recognition of learning outcomes with a view to achieving a qualification. The Gardeniser Pro training pathway gains a total of 7,5 ECVET credits.
The course is open to students across the UK and Europe. It is delivered by both project partners and qualified independent providers.
Forthcoming UK course dates and full details on how to apply will be available on the Social Farms & Gardens website: farmgarden.org.uk/events
The project partners are: Social Farms & Gardens (UK), Replay Network (Italy),
Pistes Solidaires (France) and Gartenpolylog (Austria).
- The course will be delivered as either:
- 100 x 2 hour online sessions totalling 20 hours
- 5 day in person course totalling 35-40 hours
- Homework or additional tasks will be set to support learning, totalling approximately 20 - 40 hours
- Course fees will be set by the individual provider
- In the UK the course will be delivered in English and all course work, written material and communication will be done in English. The learner must have a good working knowledge of English with an English level B2 in the Common
- European Framework of Reference (CEFR), and be able to write and speak in English to undertake the course.
- This course is for adults only and you must be 18 years or older.
- You will need to be involved either with a community managed garden or farm and/or demonstrate you have some knowledge or understanding of these kinds of outdoor spaces.
- Learners will need to attend all sessions and all set homework or study tasks
- Following completion of the taught and self-guided portions of the course, learners will be eligible to take an online test.
- On successful completion of the online test, learners will receive a licence confirming that they are now a licenced Gardeniser
The Gardeniser Pro Training Course is divided into 3 Modules which represent the core competencies of a Gardeniser, and there will always be ample time for discussion to explore the topics.
Module 1: Understanding the community garden/farm
- Understanding the main concepts and characteristics of community gardens and farms
- History of the community garden
- Consulting the community
- The importance of partnerships
- Advocacy, good communication and managing conflict.
- Finding the right site for your project
- Design of the site
Module 2: Working effectively with staff and volunteers
- Looking after staff, volunteers, and visitors
- Techniques to support people who are stressed and to increase wellbeing.
- Contributions and challenges of working with volunteers
- Recruiting, inducting, and retaining volunteers
Module 3: Sustainability
- Understanding costs and budgeting
- Creating an action plan
- Ways to bring in income
- Evaluation as a process
- Doing a health check of the project
Practical tasks to be completed during the Gardeniser Pro course will include visits to community farms and gardens, organising activities, creating templat documents and designs and financial planning
The Gardeniser Pro course will be delivered in Nottingham UK for a 5-day face-to-face course held over 2 weeks at Arkwright Meadows Community Gardens ( https://www.amcgardens.co.uk/). Week 1 will take place Thursday 20th April-Saturday 22nd from 9:30-4:30 pm and the next week on Thursday 27th April-Friday 28th April from 9:30-4:30 pm. Cost: £375, £350 for SF&G members. Bursaries may be available. Successful completion of the course, homework, and online test results in a Gardeniser Pro license.