We offer gardeners to organize festive meals on the gardens.
Vegetables and herbs from the garden are used to cook meals.
These dishes are prepared on site in the garden and / or at the gardener’s home.
Those invited are: gardeners, inhabitants of the neighborhood and external people (partners, other gardeners from other gardens ...).
- To open the gardens to other people, interests and concerns.
- To gather and create greater cohesion between gardeners and non gardeners of the social housings, and with gardeners from other city gardens.
- Set up an event that makes gardens visible, in view to awareness the financial, technical and social partners of the gardens.
- Introduce, from vegetables and herbs from the garden, the pleasure of eating and health theme.
70 to 90 guests received during two meals on the Nereides Bosquet garden (“Habiter la Cité, c’est faire ensemble”); 35 people on the Pont-de-Vivaux garden ; 25 people in the Tuileries garden.
The participants really enjoy being here.
We need to inform and communicate more to bring more non-gardeners.
- This tool is a good pretext to bring people to the garden (social diversity and generational mix) ; people who probably would not have met elsewhere.
- depending on location, this action may be part of a more global coherence process; for example in the garden of Nereides Grove, part of the kitchen is made with olive oil from olives collected on trees in the city by the inhabitants.
- This tool can also help introduce new directions of projects on topics related to health (nutrition, ...)
- The decision to organize a meals in the garden is taken during a monthly meeting of gardeners (at least 8 to 10 weeks in advance). A date is fixed as well as the access level to the event: open to residents only or also to outsiders? gardeners and non gardeners? social landlord and partners (financial, technical, social centers, ...)?
- Everyone says what he will cook (on site or at home). A list of dishes is made with the quantities that each prepares.
- Organization of communication: invitations, pricing from 1 to 2 Euros for those invited (NB the total sum being paid is collected into the gardeners pot and affected to a purchase in connection with the garden – example : parting gifts offered to the social landlord which was behind the gardens).
- One to two preparatory meetings before the date of the meal. Setting up the schedule of the day and allocation of duties on the morning before the meal.
Some knowledge and skills in cooking and several notions:
- how to organize a stewardship
- notions of communication
- time management
- Indicators: the quantity and quality of attendees relative to initial targets: only inhabitants (gardeners and non gardeners) or also outsiders. The hardest part is to bring the inhabitants (non-gardeners and gardeners).
- The next meeting of gardeners allows them to make an analysis of what went well or less well past that day.